Saturday, June 22, 2013

It's been quite a week! Today I went to Las Grietas, which is basically a massive fissure full of water. The cliffs are about 15 meters (50 feet) high, and people were jumping off of them. I had only ever jumped off of a cliff once, and this was much higher. I think I had enough time to count to 3-Mississippi before hitting the water. It was amazing, but 4 times was more than enough. There was one guy there who was going to the highest points of the cliffs, probably closer to 60 or 65 feet, but where I was going was fine for me! The water there was also crystal clear, and there were some big parrot fish there, which are bright blue and shiny. It was a really cool place, but there were a few too many tourists there for my liking.

Speaking of tourists, a couple of days ago 2 tourists that were staying at the hotel I volunteer at went missing. (The travel agency I volunteer at also has 10 rooms they rent out). A woman I work with was the first to notice that they hadn't come back from their bike trip to the Chatos, which is basically a massive park where there you can see tortoises in the wild. The grass there is really think and about 10 feet high. Any local you ask will tell you not to go there without a guide because the trails are very confusing and it's very easy to get lost there. They had been missing for two days and the park was arranging a search party to find them. Because no one else spoke much English, it became my job to track down and tell their families that they were missing. After an hour of searching the internet, I finally found out what city they lived in and called their local police station in Wisconsin. I had just gotten off of the phone with them when who should walk in but the two missing people! After spending the night on the beach, they had been walking since 5 in the morning and didn't get to town until 8 at night. The search party came back and I had to act as translator between the two. They hadn't had anything to eat for two days and only 1 liter of water between the two of them, but luckily, they hadn't tried to eat any of the fruits in the park because some of them are poisonous for humans. The park rangers kept repeating that they were lucky to be alive, and that people had died doing exactly what those two did. It was quite an experience for me, but I'm sure it was much more of an experience for them. But mostly they just looked very tired and very ready for a shower and a meal.

Before I sit down to write one of these, I always tell myself this one isn't going to be so long. But once I start typing, I always seem to have more to say. O well, better luck next week, I guess!

No comments:

Post a Comment